Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jen's 2009 Reading List

This post is for my amazing mother-in-law, who when I told her I had started a blog and explained what it was she said "That would be a good place to list all the good books you have read." This is for you mom! Love you!

Several years ago we started the family tradition that on the first Monday night in January we would write out our goals individually and as a family for the year. About 8 years ago I decided that I would read as many books that year as I was old-- so if I was going to be 25 that year, then I would need to read 25 books. I had kept up that goal each year since then, and I write the books down so I can remember what I have read. Some years I make my goal easily and go beyond, other years I am up reading Dec 31 until the ball drops to finish my last book. I am an English/Humanities major, so I love books, love reading; it keeps me sane. I tend to lean toward the juvenile and young adult genre rather than adult fiction because I don't want to waste my time reading books with trash in them. Sorry, life is too short to read a bad book :) So, if I start a book and there is too much language/sex/violence for my taste, I just don't finish it. So all the books I finish I like, and I really liked the ones I read this year. So without further ado, here is my 2009 Reading List (and no I am not 40, that is just how many books I read this year--I went WAY over my goal this year. . . .:) Enjoy!

1. No Place for Magic by E.D Baker (love the Frog Princess series by Baker, this is #5)
2. The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan (found the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series, love it!)
3. The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
4. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (thought provoking)
5. The Diamond of Darkhold by Jeanne DuPrace (part of the City of Ember series)
6. The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
7. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (very good)
8. The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
9. Riptide by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (thanks for this recommend Rachael!)
10. The Girl who could Fly by Victoria Forrester
11. When I Lay my Issac Down by Carol Kent
12. The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger (Thanks Whitney Bea)
13. The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (a series Stephanie Meyer loved, and I enjoyed too)
14. The Dragon Princess by E.D. Baker
15. My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison (super good, funny read!)
16. The City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
17. The City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
18. Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George (love Jessica's stuff!)
19. Forest Born by Shannon Hale (love Shannon's stuff)
20. Promises to Keep: Diane's Story by Dean Hughes
21. The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale
22. Saboteur by Dean Hughes
23. The Disappeared by Gloria Whelan (her stuff is always so interesting!!)
24. Mira, Mira by Mette Ivie Harrison
25. Dragon Spear by Jessica Day George
26. Belle by Cameron Dokey
27. The Magician by Michael Scott (This is a good series--The Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel)
28. The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt (Ben and I read this together--funny)
29. The Sorceress by Michael Scott
30. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games book 2---can't wait until Aug 2010 for #3!)
31. Atherton: House of Power by Patrick Carmen (great series by an author we met)
32. The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge (Thanks sophistimom for this recommendation)
33. Atherton: River of Fire by Patrick Carmen
34. Atherton: The Dark Planet by Patrick Carmen
35. The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison
36. The Princess and the Bear by Mette Ivie Harrison
37. Peter and the Sword of Mercy by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson (love this series!)
38. The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
39. Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (just found his adult stuff, and really like it)
40. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (this is definitely adult, but enjoyed it)

No comments:

Post a Comment