Friday, January 6, 2017

2016 Reading list

I love to read.  Always have.  I am the daughter of a librarian, so it must be in my blood.  It is a love that I have thankfully passed onto my children.  A love of reading is a wonderful gift!  Every year I make the goal to read as many books as I will have candles on my birthday cake.  Some years I go way over, but for the last few years I haven't been able to keep up with those candles :)  I know it is not because I am getting old :)  I am sure that is not the reason!!!  Anyway, this year I didn't make it, and that is okay.  I don't think the point of goals is to kill yourself if you don't achieve them all, but to acknowledge what you did do and be proud of that and move on.  So, I didn't read as many books as I had birthday candles in 2016, but that is okay.  I read a lot of really good books.  This year I am going to try harder and see if I can match those candles...wish me luck!

These are in no particular order, but just when I read them.  I also had the goal to read 10 non-fiction books, and I only read 6, but hey, I did read 6, so that is still good!  A few highlights--I continue to love the Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer.  I have also loved the Proper Romance series that Desert Book has out by various authors--Josi Kilpack, Nancy Allen, Jennifer Moore.  Those are all good so check them out.  I don't think I have a favorite book of the year, but I did like all I read.  I won't finish them if I don't like them :)  Here is to more happy reading in 2017!

1.  Winter by Marissa Meyer, Lunar Chronicles #4
2.  The Boy who Challenged Hitler: Kund Pederson and the Churchill Club by Phillip Hoose, nonfiction
3.  Sarah's Song by Karen Kingsbury
4.  Hannah's Hope by Karen Kingsbury
5.  At Her Majesty's Request:  An African Princess in Victorian England by Walter Dean Myers, nonfiction
6.  Darkness over Denmark by Ellen Levine, nonfiction
7.  Wolves Can't Fly by Dan Meers, nonfiction
8.  The Tournament at Gorlan by John Flanagan, The Ranger's Apprentice The Early Years Book 1
9.  Life in a Jar by Jack Mayer
10.  Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys---not to be confused with that other Gray book, this is about Stalin and WWII and Lithuanians being sent to Siberian Labor Camps.
11.  Calamity by Brandon Sanderson
12.  10,000 Days of Thunder:  Vietnam War by Philip Caputo, nonfiction
13.  Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
14.  Deadly Alliance by A.L. Sowards
15.  Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
16.  Cruel Crown by Victoria Aveyard
17.  Angels Flying out of Hell by Bette Milleson James, about the 7,000 mile journey of the Operation Babylift Orphans
18.  Willowkeep by Julie Daines
19.  Lady Helen Finds her Song by Jennifer Moore
20.  The Storm Descends: Fire and Steel Book 2 by Gerald Lund
21.  Gray Mountain by John Grisham
22.  Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
23.  Pretties by Scott Westerfeld
24.  Specials by Scott Westerfeld
25.  Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell Allen
26.  Stars Above:  A Lunar Chronicles Collection by Marissa Meyer
27.  My Fair Gentleman by Nancy Campbell Allen


No comments:

Post a Comment