Wednesday, May 15, 2019

2019 Blue Jeans Week 18

So this week was down right amazing!  And super crazy to begin with, but we so loved it!  Ben's dad turned 80 and to celebrate his 7 siblings planned a family cruise with his parents, siblings and spouses--there were supposed to be 16 of us, but one brother and his wife and one sister and her husband could not join us, and we missed them a lot!  So there were 12 of us all together.  We got on the boat in San Diego and got off in Vancouver, Canada.  It was the BEST!  Not only the cruise itself, but also the company!  Being with family who we only get to see once a year for about an hour at a family dinner, and getting to spend 5 days with them to visit and eat, and play games, and explore was just priceless!  So we started Sunday with getting home at 3 a.m. from after prom, went to church at 10, and then left early from church to drive 5 hours to Omaha, Nebraska where Ben had his once a year work meetings there.  We left Omaha Monday night to drive to KC to spend the night because our flight to San Diego left at 6 a.m the next morning.  Then we got to San Diego, went to the San Diego Temple and then got on the boat around 1 and joined up with the rest of the family.  Enjoyed the cruise and flew home from Vancouver on Sunday.  It was a week!  So much fun!  And I have a million pictures, but I will not post them all here :)  But take a look at our week...
Sunday and Monday we were in Omaha, and while Ben enjoys his work meetings, I enjoy Omaha and their walking paths and yummy food.  This is their pedestrian bridge that goes from Nebraska to Iowa. 

San Diego Tuesday morning--We attended the San Diego temple (which is so beautiful!  but sadly had some construction going on outside) before we boarded our cruise ship.

And Tuesday afternoon we were on the ship!  We did a Caribbean cruise about 14 years ago for our 10th anniversary, and Loved that, but this was a Pacific Coast cruise, and we also loved it!

Ben and two of his brothers (one of his brothers and one of his sisters sadly could not make it, and we missed them lots!) So fun to all be together and hear family stories.  We laughed and laughed!

Ben's parents and two of his brothers.  We got group pictures, but I didn't take them so I don't have those yet, but so loved being with my in-laws!  Brothers and sisters-in-laws! They are all the best!

One of the places we stopped was Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, and this is their famous Empress hotel that was been around since 1904.  They serve afternoon tea for $95 each, but we passed on that and just admired it from the outside :)


Our main stop in Victoria was the Butchart Gardens which were AMAZING!!!! Oh my!  Someone touring them with us said, "wow, when you die you won't know if you are in Heaven or Butchart Gardens!"  He was 100% correct!  It was just so gorgeous!  I felt like I was in Holland with all the tulips and the flowers trees and just everything.  Just breathtaking!

Ben's oldest sister and me at a different part of the Gardens

More pictures of the Gardens (I literally took hundreds of them!)

And still at the Gardens.  This was the Rose Garden that wasn't in bloom yet, but the arches were so pretty!

And then back in Victoria to their China town.

And the Victoria Government building which they light up each night.  Such a fun day!

Getting our Canada tourist shirts :)

In Vancouver we went to the Capilano Suspension bridge park which if you know me was a huge test of will as I am very afraid of heights.  We had to go across this 450 feet long and 230 feet high SWINGING bridge!  Ugh! (this smile is not one of delight, let me tell you) and I had to do it twice, once to get over to the other side of the park and once to get back.  I had no choice, and then the rest of the park was like an Ewok village with tree house platforms and smaller swinging bridges that you went from tree to tree, and then a suspended cliff walk.  But I DID IT!  And I did have a panic attack, cried a little and freaked out, but I DID IT!  It is over, and I can laugh about it (now :)

And activity that I enjoyed WAY more in Vancouver is where Ben's sister and her husband rented tandem bikes with us, and we road around the 9 mile sea wall that goes around Stanley Island Park in Vancouver.  I loved that!

On our bike ride.

In Vancouver we used the subway to get to our hotel.  We were quite a parade all 12 of us with our luggage going around.  Lots of fun!

Thanks for visiting!  Still catching up!  


2 comments:

  1. What a fun week. I have a friend that is on that same cruise right now, and her pictures of the Butchart Gardens are GORGEOUS, just like yours.

    WAY TO GO on conquering your fear of heights. I didn't used to be afraid of heights, but as I have gotten older they have made me squeamish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an amazing trip! I love Victoria. My Parents used to live way North in Washington state and were not far from there so we'd visit them and them visit Victoria but it's been awhile. Im s happy you all got to go.

    ReplyDelete