Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What's up Wednesday--sloppy joes

Love sloppy joes at our house.  Especially in the summer because they are a crock pot meal, so no heating up the house.  This is my grandma DeeDee's recipe, and it calls for Chicken Gumbo soup which is a staple in my pantry now because of this recipe.  Enjoy!
Sloppy Joes (Crock Pot)

2 lbs hamburger
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 large green pepper, chopped fine
1 cup ketchup
1 can chicken gumbo soup
1 Tab. mustard
1 Tab. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Brown hamburger with onion and pepper in large sauce pan. Drain.  Transfer to crock pot.  Add all other ingredients and mix well.  Put on low for several hours.  It is a very forgiving recipe.  I have put it on low all day (like 8 hours) or for just a few (3-4) and both are good, but the longer it cooks the more the flavors blend.  We always put cheese on ours, and I like mine with sliced sweet pickles.  Ah, the perfect comfort food.  Takes me right to my DeeDee's kitchen.  She always serves them that way with potato chips on the side.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to try this with the chicken gumbo. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete