Wednesday, March 4, 2015

What's up Wednesday--Andes Mint Cookies

These are one of our family's favorite cookie recipes, which says a lot because I have tons of cookie recipes, but these definitely stand out.  Our library had a chocolate sale on Valentine's day last year to raise some money.  I made these to sell.  When I saw they were doing it again this year, I signed up to bring these again.  When the library ladies saw I was signing up they asked, "Are you going to bring those mint cookies again?"  They remembered.  So, I made several plates for this year.  The sale started at 9 and by 10, all my mint cookie plates were sold.  They are good cookies!  I found the recipe on Becky Higgins' website many years ago.  I don't know if she still has it one there, but thank you Becky for sharing!  I have doubled and tripled and even quadrupled this recipe because I have made them for cookie plates at Christmas.  It works well, you just have to cool it longer in the fridge if you double it.  These also freeze well, if there are any leftover, which at our house isn't very often. 
Andes Mint Cookies

3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 Tab. water

Melt the above in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth, then add

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips and stir until completely melted.

Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.  Pour into a mixing bowl and beat in

2 eggs

then add:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together and chill for 45 minutes to an hour. Roll into balls about 1 1/2 inches big, or I use the medium pampered chef cookie scoop.  Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake 350 for 10 minutes.  You do not want these over-baked. Under-baked is much better than over.  These are a really soft cookie.

When the cookies come out of the oven, place an Andes mint on top of each cookie and allow to melt for a few minutes.  Swirl the melted chocolate like icing and allow to cool completely.  One bag of Andes mints will easily do one batch of cookies with a few leftover.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment