Friday, January 28, 2011

GNO-Girls' Night Out

How could we survive without friends?  I don't know that I could.  Being a stay-at-home-mom, living in the country by a small one grocery store town, there are days when I never leave the house.  I like those days :)  Often there are several days in a row when I don't leave the house, so I don't always see my friends.  Often I may only see them once a month, but they are still my friends; they got my back; they are there for me whenever I need them.  I can call on them anytime for anything, and I know they will be there.  Those kind of friends are priceless.   About 8 1/2 years ago I started a Girls' Night Out or GNO group.  Once a month we take turns hosting and get together.  8 years ago I was knee deep in diapers, bottles, laundry, and babies, and I needed a night out, and so we made one.  What a blessing.  Now that I am knee deep in teenager activities, book reports, projects, sport practices and games, spelling lists and even more laundry than 8 years ago, I still need a night out :)

 These are the "old timers" or "old ladies" as the son of one of us calls us.  These are the girls that started it 8
1/2 years ago.  Sadly, some of our original group have moved.  Life happens.  We miss them.  One from this photo recently moved.  We miss her.

 
This is our group now.  We have added a few.  It is always good to make new friends!  What a blessing to have new friends!  This weekend I am hosting GNO.  We are having a soup night at my house.  I am providing drinks, rolls, and a yummy dessert, and everyone is bringing their favorite soup and recipe to share.  I love soups and am always looking for a new recipe to try.  Like I said before we take turns hosting each month.  At the beginning of the year everyone chooses a month to host.  We do lots of different things--sometimes we just go out to eat at a restaurant, we have made quilts together, gone to the movies, done craft projects, played tennis, and lots of other things in the past 8 years.  Whoever hosts can choose whatever she wants to do.  We always have baby showers for those expecting, and then we provide meals for the new mom and her family.  That has been a huge blessing because there have been a lot of babies :)  Friends are a blessing.  What more can I say?  I love my friends.

2 comments:

  1. What great smiles! And friends are the best through thick and thin... and many years down the road! Have FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun. Sure wish I lived closer!

    ReplyDelete