Wednesday, March 30, 2016

What's up Wednesday--Quinoa chocolate chip cookies

It has taken me a while to get on the "quinoa train."  I bought a big bag of it 2 years ago, and it just sat on my pantry shelf for a long, long time.  Finally, I saw this cake recipe that I really wanted to try.  I made the quinoa for the cake, and the cake was divine!  And it looked as good as in the original recipe pictures too which is always a plus.  I have made the cake 3 times now--sooooo good!  Then I saw the recipe for these quinoa chocolate chip cookies.  When I had made the quinoa for my cake I had a little left over and thought, oh I will try these.    
I adapted the recipe a little to fit what I had on hand and what my family likes.  These cookies did not last long.  Yum!  I made them for my Dad (twice) and he also loves them.  Have made them a few times, and they are big hits!  So, I now have 2 quinoa recipe in my cookbook and going strong.  Yes they are both desserts, but that is ok :)  I will slowly branch out--maybe :)  I am very happy with the 2 recipes I have :)    Enjoy!

Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup solid coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup aguave (original recipe calls for honey, but we prefer aguave, but both work)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa, cooked only in water, not broth
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
2 Tablespoons wheat germ
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat mat or spray with cooking spray.
In a large bowl beat together the melted coconut oil and aguave with an electric mixer.  Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in the flour, salt, baking soda until just combined with a few flour streaks left.  Add in the oats, quinoa, flaxseed, wheat germ, and chocolate chips and mix gently by hand.  The dough should be light and fluffy and mix lightly until ingredients are evenly mixed.
Drop by spoon or cookie scoop in about 2-3 tablespoons sized balls onto cookie sheet.  They will be pretty thick, so you can flatten them slightly before you bake if you want a flatter cookie.   
Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are brown but sides and top are soft. 

Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment