Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What's up Wednesday--Blueberry muffin top cookies


So I have been reading these Josi Kilpack  books which are culinary mysteries.  They are really fun.  She will talk about making dinner, and then the recipe for her dinner is at the end of the chapter.  I love that.  Don't you always read things about what people are eating or making and think, "man, I wish they would share the recipe for that. . ." and these books do!  Love it!

I have made several of her recipes, but I think this one is my favorite--Blueberry muffin top cookies--Yum!
I love blueberries, and they had a great sale on fresh ones (which I think are always better than frozen, but frozen work all the rest of the year), so we have been loving fresh blueberries at our house.  Enjoy!
Blueberry Muffin Top Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 tes vanilla
1 1/2 tes lemon zest or 1 tes lemon juice (I used the lemon juice)
2 Tbl milk

1 1/2 tes baking powder
 2 cups flour
1/2 tes salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries--don't thaw the frozen ones

Preheat oven to 375.  In a mixing bowl cream together the shortening, butter, egg, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest (or juice) and milk.  Add dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Fold in blueberries.  
Drop by tablespoon sized balls on a greased or silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  
Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.  Cool 2 minutes on pan before moving to rack to cool.

Glaze
1 1/2 Tbl butter, melted
add 1 cup powdered sugar and 
2 Tbl lemon juice 

Mix well and drizzle over warm cookies.  Yum!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard about those books from a friend. They're on my list...

    ReplyDelete