Friday, June 7, 2013

Helpers

I saw this on pinterest a while ago, and loved the thought.  It stayed with me as Newton happened, and then Boston.  I thought of it on the anniversary of 9/11, and then very recently Oklahoma's tornadoes which were quite close to home.  I have thought of this quote each time I have seen those things happen, and it has helped.  This week I really thought of it as I read I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree:  A Memoir of a Schindler's List Survivor by Laura Hillman.  That was a hard read.  It was listed as a young adult read, and 2 of my girls also read it.  Man, did we have some things to talk about.  

This wasn't fiction.  

This was real life.  

These things really happened, and it was hard to take.  I thought of this quote.  Despite the horrors, despite the unthinkable things that happened to Jews (and others) in the concentration camps, there were helpers.  This quote was so true--even in the darkest of times and places.  Look for the helpers, and you will always find them.  What a wonderful assurance and light in a very dark place.  It was great to tell my girls this quote and then talk about the helpers in this book.  It is very reassuring to know that even when people are at their worst and most inhuman, there are those that never let go of their humanity.  There are those with courage and dignity.  There are those who help.  I hope that if my children or I ever get into a scary situation, that we will be like that, that we will be the people helping.  It is an important lesson I hope my kids learn and will apply.  Reading this book helped my girls to see this lesson.  

God bless those people who are helping.  We are so thankful to you!

2 comments:

  1. Such an important lesson indeed. I will have to look for that book.

    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this. It's so bittersweet to have a book impact you deeply and stay with you for such a long time. Love how you talked with your kids about it afterwards...

    ReplyDelete