Wednesday, June 19, 2013

What's up Wednesday--broccoli salad

I love summer cookouts, BBQs, and pot lucks because I can bring this salad which I love!  I just call it broccoli salad.  It is super easy to make especially if you buy the already cooked and crumbled bacon.  Costco sells it, and I just keep the bag in my freezer for instant bacon anytime.  Love it!  You can make this ahead and let it sit in the fridge or just eat it right after making.

Broccoli Salad

1 large bunch broccoli--or I usually use 3-4 large broccoli crowns
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 of a purple onion, chopped fine (I usually use only 1/4 of an onion because they are so big)
8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled, or 8 tablespoons already cooked and crumbed bacon
sprinkle on sunflower seed kernels--optional

Combine the above in a medium sized bowl.

For the dressing combine. . .

1/2 cup mayonnaise (fat free doesn't work well, but light is fine)
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbl vinegar--red wine or apple cider work well if you have them, if not just use regular
Mix well together and then pour over broccoli mix and mix well.

Serve immediately or refrigerate for several hours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. I'm always forgetting the specifics on how to make the dressing for this.

    ReplyDelete