Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What's up Wednesday--limeade

With the temperatures getting hotter, the cool drinks are coming back into style again.  Although my little boy would and does drink hot chocolate every.day.of.the.year.  Even when it is a balmy 100 degrees outside, he asks for hot chocolate at breakfast.  Love that kid.
This is Brazilian lemonade, and is one of our favorite summer drinks.  We got the recipe from Our Best Bites.  Ben always asks why it is called lemonade when there are no lemons in it--just limes.  I don't know.  I guess we should call it Brazilian limeade instead.  Either way, it is divine and tastes sooooo good on a hot summer day, which we expect a lot of those here. 

We also just like to make fresh limeade here.  My kids are excellent lemon and lime juice squeezers.  A key to getting lots of juice out of your lemon or lime is to make sure they are room temperature.  Fresh out of the fridge doesn't give as much juice as ones that have been sitting out awhile.  Our favorite limeade (or lemonade) recipe. . .

Fresh Limeade (or lemonade)

4-5 limes or lemons or a combination
6 cups cold water
1 cup sugar

ice

Cut your limes in half and squeeze each half over a bowl or use a juicer.  Repeat with all limes until you have 1 cup juice.  

Pour juice into water and stir in sugar until dissolved.  Serve over ice and enjoy!

And I know I have posted this recipe before, but it bears repeating.  This Coconut and Cashew Granola is just divine.  I use the quick oats instead of old fashioned rolled oats because that is what I have, and I also just use regular brown sugar because I never have the dark brown sugar.  We make it and eat it for dessert right out of the bowl.  It is also divine with vanilla yogurt or ice cream, and great in the morning with milk if we ever have any left over in the morning (which we seldom do).  I know having your oven on for 1 hour and 15 minutes might not sound too tempting right now, but bake it early in the morning or late at night.  Your house will smell divine, and everyone will devour it!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I made a double batch on Sunday! We love this stuff, too! It's called Brazilian Lemonade because Brazilian lemons are more like our limes. :D

    ReplyDelete