Friday, August 9, 2013

Crayons


What is it about a new box of crayons that just makes you smile and happy?  We went school supply shopping this week (not clothes, just supplies) and an hour and $150 later we left the store, but those crayons just made me smile.  I only had one of my four this year that needed crayons.  That almost made me cry.  It was kind of an up and down emotional roller coaster trip to the store.  We are almost getting out of the crayon stage which is sad, and we are moving onto the scientific calculator and graph paper stage of school supplies.  Those are a little more expensive than the $0.50 box of 24 Crayola crayons.

When my kids were little their needs and wants were pretty simple--diapers, bottle, formula--not saying those were cheap by any means, but when I compare them with my kids' needs/wants now--ipods, Nike running shoes, a car, nail polish, etc, those baby things seem so simple and so much less expensive.  It is interesting how the different stages in a child's life can change you and your perspective, but some things never change.

My kids will always be mine no matter what stage they are in or what their needs are, and a box of crayons will always make me smile, and I think I will always buy a 24 box of Crayola crayons every fall even if they aren't on the school supply list--just for me--to smile and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment