Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What's up Wednesday--breakfast food

I love breakfast food.  Breakfast for dinner is one of my all time favorite meals.  As school is set to start here (like tomorrow) I have been thinking about breakfast foods.  We are usually cereal kind of people, but I like to try to make something at least once a week so they have something different.  I will do a big batch of pancakes, waffles, or muffins, and then the extras go in the freezer for the rest of the week for the kids and Ben to just grab out and heat up.  We eat a lot of eggs at our house too, because scrambled eggs are quick and easy and yummy!  

Here are some of our favorite breakfast recipes. . .

Classic buttermilk waffles with cheese:  When I saw Mel's Kitchen Cafe's cheddar waffles, I admit I was skeptical.  Cheese on a waffle?  But let me tell you it works!  Yum!  My family likes them a lot.  

You sprinkle on a few tablespoons of cheese before you close and lid and then. . .

Ta-da!  Yum!

Coconut and cashew granola:  This is just to-die-for good!  The recipe calls for raisins, but we usually put dried cranberries in it.  It makes your house smell so good when you make it also!  It does take a while to cook, so I usually make it the night before I want it.  

Overnight maple brown sugar oatmeal:   I make this once a week.  It is really good.  A great way to use steel cut oats, and we always put the dried blueberries in--I get those at Costco.  It is good reheated for the next few days also.  

Healthy Whole Grain Waffles:     This is from Our Best Bites, and I love these.  They are probably my all time favorite waffle.  I am not an extreme health freak--I like things healthy, but I also like them to taste good.  These waffles are a perfect combination of both.  I just use regular sugar when I make them, and I do use the flaxseed meal and wheat germ in them.  They are great!

Happy breakfast from our house to yours!  Here's to happy school mornings ahead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment