Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What's up Wednesday--whole grain waffles

I love waffles.  Always have.  They are really not Ben's favorite, but every once in a while I find a waffle recipe that he likes.  This one he definitely likes and so do all my kids.  I have been making these once a week all summer and putting the extra in the freezer for the rest of the week.  I always double the recipe. I got the original recipe from here.  Enjoy! 

Whole Grain Waffles

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 Tbl ground flaxseed
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbl sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup oil**
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk together the flour, wheat germ, flaxseed, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  In another bowl mix together the milk, oil, vanilla, and egg and whisk until combined. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just mixed.  Ladle onto your waffle iron and cook according to its instructions.  My waffle iron makes 4 squares like above and I put 1/3 cup batter in each square and cook for 3 minutes.  Everyone's waffle irons are different.  

**I have used coconut oil for these, and it makes them taste really good, but coconut oil is only liquid when it is warm, so if I use it, then I have to warm up the milk and then add the coconut oil, and then if my milk wasn't warm enough, I have to microwave the whole bowl of liquid ingredients with the solid coconut oil clumped in until the coconut oil melts and it becomes smooth and ready to combine with the dry ingredients.  Kind of a hassle, but it does taste extra good with coconut oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment