Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A change of plans and Our Favorite Banana Recipes

Do you ever have those days that just do not turn out like you planned, not necessarily in a bad way, just not what you had planned?  Yesterday was one of those for me.  Yesterday I got up and thought I knew what my schedule would be.  It was a Tuesday.  Tuesdays are my school volunteer days.  I am at the school almost all day in my different kids' classes.  I love it.  Well, Miss E had been sick with just a fever since Saturday night.  I stayed home with her Sunday, and Monday, but Monday evening she didn't have a fever, and Tuesday morning she was 98.6, so I sent her to school and then I followed not too long after.  I was in Mr. J's class about 9 when I hear over the intercom "Jen if you are in the building, will you please come to the office."  Now even though I am 30 something, being called to the office still makes me feel nervous!  Anyway, Miss E's fever was back up, so we headed home.  Now I had a whole day at home I was not planning on.  Got Miss E some Tylenol, and she just wanted to lay on the couch and watch Star Wars.  I had a bunch of bananas that were getting pretty ugly, so I got to work and baked up a storm.  We love bananas at our house and banana bread and especially these banana muffins.  Mr J asks for them at least twice a week, "Mom, can you make me some banana muffins?"  Yum, yes!  These all freeze very well.  Enjoy!
Dearie's Banana Bread--this recipe is my Great-Grandma's who we all called Dearie
2 c. flour
2 eggs
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter (soft)
1 tes. soda
1 tes. salt
1 tes. vanilla
1/2 c. nuts (optional, we never put them in, we aren't nut people)
3 medium, ripe bananas mashed

Cream together sugar and butter.  Add eggs and vanilla, and mix well.  Add all other ingredients and bananas and mix well.  Bake 350 for 1 hour if doing one large loaf, bake 35-40 minutes if making 4 small loaves (like above).  Check with toothpick in middle to see if done.  
These are our favorite mini-chocolate chip banana muffins.  I always double the recipe (doubling will make about 48 mini-muffins), and if there are any left after we are done, they freeze really well.  I got this recipe from Family Fun years ago.  It is a staple at our house. 
Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tes baking powder
1/4 tes salt
1 cup mashed, ripe bananas
1 large egg
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup fat free or light sour cream
2 tes. vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Combine mashed bananas, egg, melted butter, sour cream, milk, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Blend in the dry ingredients, but do not over mix.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Spoon into greased mini muffin tins and bake 350 for 12-15 minutes or until top bounces back when touched. 

So sometimes I think it is good when your days do not turn out exactly like you planned.  Sometimes they turn out better and much yummier!   Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I hope Miss E is feeling better and so wonderful to have the change of plans turn in to something so great! and DElicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be having more of those days recently. I hope your daughter is feeling better. Thanks for sharing your recipes. I love bananas so I know I will love these! I hope to see you Sat. too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! And I love that your daughter spends a day recovering while watching Star Wars. Seriously - that is my kind of day :) (minus the sick part).

    PS - yes, I can see the nervous part about being paged to the principal's office. If I were there my face would have gone so red.

    ReplyDelete