Wednesday, April 16, 2014

What's up Wednesday--potato cheese soup

 Going along with my last week's Wednesday post, this potato cheese soup was another recipe my DeeDee brought me weekly during my Freshman year of college.  It is such a comfort food to me.  I know soup season is almost gone--hello spring, but this soup is just a classic, and so good!  This is my 'go to' meal whenever I have to take food to someone--- a friend who just had a baby, someone sick, etc.  It is loved by all who have tried it.  Enjoy!

DeeDee's Potato Cheese Soup

Cook in a large pot until tender:
  
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 stalk celery, cut fine (my family omits this because my kids hate celery in soup)
1 carrot sliced 
1 quart water or chicken brother
5 tsp chicken granules if using water or 1 tsp chicken granules is using chicken broth
frozen peas--about half a bag

Cook until veggies are tender

In another pot make a white sauce:

Melt 1/2 cup butter
Add in 1/2 cup flour and mix
Whisk in 1 1/3 cups milk until mixture is smooth.
Cook until smooth and slightly thickened, then stir into cooked veggies.

Add 8 oz of Velveeta cheese, chopped up.  
Warm and stir until cheese is melted.  Serve.

Yum!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds crazy, but I think I remember you with this soup :)

    ReplyDelete