Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What's up Wednesday--the best granola

I love granola.  I love oatmeal--not plain, but in things.  I know I have mentioned this granola before, but it bears repeating.  If you haven't made it, you need to.  It is divine.  Our family can eat the whole recipe in one sitting.  I have made it for our treat for Friday night movie nights, and everyone cheers.  I even made this for seminary once and was very surprised that the high school boys gobbled it up.  The original recipe is from, of course, Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  She uses raisins, but my family loves the dried cranberries.  I also use coconut oil instead of regular oil when I make this, but both work well.  I just like things I can make with coconut oil because it smells so good :)  This is divine over vanilla yogurt in the mornings or just with milk.  It is also just great to snack on.  Enjoy!
Coconut and Cashew Granola

 3 cups oats, can use old fashioned or quick
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashews
3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 Tab brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tab pure maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil
3/4 cup salt
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 250. In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar.  In a smaller bowl whisk together the oil, syrup, and salt.  Slowly pour the liquid over the oatmeal mix and stir well until all covered.  Divide in half and pour onto two 11x17 rimmed baking sheets.  Spread out into an even layer for each sheet.  Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes until golden.  Remove from oven.  Transfer to a large bowl and mix in 1 cup of raisins or dried cranberries.  Store covered.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment