Friday, February 6, 2015

Friday thoughts. . .

 My random Friday thoughts. . . 
My quote for the week.  So true.  So much to be learned from the past, but you can't live in the past.  Just learn from it, apply it, appreciate it, and move forward.

Speaking of learning from the past.  I remember watching this movie as a kid and loving it.  Something made me think of it a few weeks ago, and I requested it from our library for my kids to watch.  They were pretty impressed.  It is a WWII movie about a German prison camp and how the British and Americans do everything they can to escape.  They ultimately build a 300+ foot long tunnel and over 70 escape.
 It is a true story.  I had only just watched the movie.  I didn't know there were books about it.  

So 2 weeks ago I read this one.  About how they tried to capture and put on trial the Gestapo gunmen who killed 50 of the 70 plus men that escaped.  It was really interesting. There are so many different facets of WWII.  So many sad and horrible things happened, but so many good people.  Makes me think of Unbroken (which I read the book and loved, but I will not see the movie) and The Monuments Men which I thought was a great movie and let my kids watch also.  

Currently I am reading the true story account of the event by one of the men in the prison who helped plan the escape and build the tunnel.  So interesting!  A great piece of history to learn about and share!

Trying to read more non-fiction books this year, and these were great reads!

Have a great weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment