Friday, May 9, 2014

Friday thoughts

My random Friday thoughts. . .
This is my weekly bathroom mirror inspirational quote.  I think the observe part is important.  I just saw a video called "Look Up" talking about how we spend so much time looking down at whatever technology we have--phone, tablet, computer, etc that we miss so much of the world.  You can't serve if you don't know what the situation is and where help is needed, and you can't see where help is needed if you don't get out of your "virtual, social, digital, network"  and look up and actually see what is happening in the world around you.  Now I would be the first one to admit that technology is amazing, and I love it, but so is chocolate, and I can't eat it constantly, nonstop, exclusively or there would be serious consequences.  It is the same with technology.  Moderation in all things--chocolate, technology, anything.  When we practice moderation in all things it allows us the opportunity to observe and the time to serve.

Another random thought for the week. . .I had the opportunity to go on Mr J's field trip this week.  It was to an amazing museum about space.  It was a long ways away--almost 6 hours round trip on a school bus, a 12 hour day with about 40 8-year-olds.  Oh. my.  But it really was fun and great to be with Mr J.  One things in the museum that took my breath away and brought tears to my eyes was this room.  These are parts of the actual Berlin Wall.  It brings tears to my eyes even now as I look at them.  Freedom is something so dear.  We take it for granted way too much.  I am so grateful I live in a country where there are no walls.  There are no check points or papers needed to go from city to city, state to state.  I can run, walk, jump, state my opinion, shop where and when I want, go to whatever school I want, study whatever I want.  It is my choice.  I have that great responsibility and privilege of making that choice.  So many people--so very many people--throughout the history of the world, and even the very recent history and even current times do not have that privilege.  What a blessing!  What an amazing blessing!!  I honor those who lived and live in those very difficult circumstances that don't have a choice.  That have a wall they couldn't cross.  My little boy is smiling in this picture, but I hope to be able to convey to him the seriousness of the picture.  Of all it says about the world we live in and all it says about the great freedoms he has.  We are so blessed, and with that blessing comes great responsibilities to share those blessings and to try to bring the walls down for others so they can also share in our blessings.

Appreciate what you have.  Look up.  Observe and then serve.  Life is a gift.  Treasure and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment