Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What's up Wednesday--Cream cheese potato soup

This is my girlfriend soup.  I have had it twice over at one of my bestest girlfriend's house, and it is wonderful!  She just made it on the stove top, and it doesn't take long to do it that way, but I made it in the crock pot when I did it because we were leaving in the a.m. one day and weren't going to be home until dinner, and I wanted something that would be ready to eat when we walked into the house starving.  Because my kids are always starving, at least that is what they tell me--are yours?  This recipe worked perfect to do that way.  Perfect for starving kids--and their parents :)  And I had to get a picture of it on my new St. Patrick's Day kitchen table table runner that I made last week.  Cute, huh?  It is called a "10 minute Table runner" but it took me an hour :)  but it is done, and I like it.  Now onto the soup. . .
Cream Cheese Potato Soup

6 cups water
7 tsp chicken bouillon granules
12 oz cream cheese, cubed
1 (30-32 oz) pkg frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
1 1/2 cups fully cooked ham, cubed
1/2 cup chopped onion or use 1/4 cup dried onion (which is what I use)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dill weed or less to taste

For crock pot--put all ingredients in the crock pot except dill weed and give a little stir.  Cook on low 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender.  Before you serve, stir soup and make sure cream cheese cubes are all melted and stir in dill weed.  Serve with yummy rolls.

If you are going to just make this on the stove top, then your frozen hash brown potatoes need to be thawed.  In a large pot combine water and bouillon.  Add the cream cheese, cook and stir until the cheese is melted.  Mix in the potatoes, ham, onion, garlic powder and dill weed.  Simmer uncovered for 18-20 minutes or until veggies are tender.  

Either way is good .  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment