Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What's up Wednesday--homemade spaghetti sauce

I have been extremely blessed in my life with an awesome mom.  This awesome mom never used canned spaghetti sauce--never (that I can remember anyway).  She always used this recipe which was her aunt's, so it is my great aunt's recipe, and it is great!  Now I admit, I have used canned spaghetti sauce a time or two in my kitchen, but nobody enjoys it very much.  They like the real stuff, as do I.  And really, making homemade is not much harder than frying your hamburger and opening a can to dump in with it.  You just open a few more cans and add spices, and let it simmer, then utter perfection!  This sauce is thick, which I love, and freezes easily.  When I make it, I usually double it so I can freeze half for another day.  Perfect.  Served with garlic bread, a salad, and fresh fruit, I think it is my favorite meal ever.  Total comfort food for me.  I usually make this in the crock pot.  There is no set time to cook it, just set it on low in the morning, and eat it for dinner.  I have made it at noon, and cooked on low for just a few hours.  One time I made it and cooked it on high for just 3 hours.  I have also done it on the stove top, but I really prefer my crock pot.  You can do whatever you prefer.  Enjoy!
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Brown 1 lb hamburger with 2 chopped onions and 2 minced garlic cloves.  Drain.

In crock pot add

1/2 cup water
1 bay leaf
2 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
2 cans (14.5oz each) stewed tomatoes blended up so smooth
2 cans (6 oz each) tomato paste
1/2 can of black olives, sliced--optional
1 can sliced mushrooms--also optional

Stir all together and then add meat and stir.  Add 1 tsp dried parsley

Cook on low for several hours until ready to serve. 

If you do this on the stove top, just increase the water to one cup and then simmer covered on the stove for one hour.  

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. We have one that's almost exactly the same and it's my favorite. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete