Friday, April 19, 2013

Saying good-bye

On Sunday I said good-bye to my Grandpa--Grum for the last time on this earth.  He passed away this week.  Saying good-bye was so hard even though we knew it was coming.  More about my amazing Grum in this post here.  We are not meant to live forever.  Death is a part of life.  I know where my Grum is now, and I know what he is doing.  I know he can look down and see me and my family, and I hope he will be proud of what he sees because I know someday I will see him again.  We like to think we are in control of things in this life.  I do.  I am a planner.  I am one that likes to be in control.  I am a mom of 4 kids, and I have to be organized or life would be insane, dinner would never get on the table, laundry would never be clean, the house would be a mess, and we would never do anything or go anywhere.  I plan.  I calendar.  I have a schedule, but I am also a realist.  You have to be flexible.  I realize life happens.  Appointments get canceled.  Kids get sick.  It rains.  Life happens, and along with life comes death.  To all of us.  It came this week to my family.  Very sadly it came to many in Connecticut in December and also this week to families in Boston and Texas.  We never know when it will come, and I fell very lucky that I was able to say good-bye when many are not.  So we need to live and love and enjoy every day.  My Grum was a good example of that.  I am very lucky to have him as my Grandpa.  Family is so important.  It is very important as we go along our road called life that we realize what really is important.  Family--our faith, our friends, and make those the priorities.  We just never know when we will have to say good-bye.

So I am taking this next week off to be with family, attend the funeral, and celebrate the wonderful life of my Grum.  I love you Grum!

4 comments:

  1. Hugs! Just catching up on your blog, now i have some new books and recipes to try ;) thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear Jen. You have such an amazing family around you - I'm so glad you have that support with you. Prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. No time is ever the right time to say good-bye to a loved one. Sounds like he had a full life with good family. I hope you have a special week remembering him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be thinking of you and your family... so well said here... Enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete