Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What's up Wednesday--buttermilk pancake edition

We love pancakes at our house.  We have breakfast for dinner often, and they are a favorite.  I thought it was sweet that Mr J in his blessing book put "syrup" as one of this blessings one night when we had pancakes for dinner.  You can see that in my previous post.  These are my mom's buttermilk pancakes, and they are divine.  Ben is the expert at making them in our house.  He makes breakfast every Friday for his early morning Seminary class.  Last week they got buttermilk pancakes.  I don't always have real buttermilk, and often our one grocery store is out, but my friend told me about powdered buttermilk, so I got some and will have to try it.  Mel's kitchen Cafe also has a great buttermilk substitute list here.  This is a big recipe, so you can half it, but we never do.  We just freeze the extras (they freeze great) so there are always pancakes in the morning.  
Ben's buttermilk pancakes

In a large bowl beat well
4 eggs
5 cups buttermilk
6 Tbl. oil

In another large bowl mix
5 cups flour
2 Tbl sugar
4 tes baking powder
2 tes baking soda
1 tes salt

Mix both wet and dry ingredients together with a whisk.  Add more buttermilk if it is too thick.  Use 1/4 cup to cook in hot skillet for pancakes.

Yum!

Some other yumminess we have been having around here this week. . .

Coconut and cashew granola :  I made this as a snack this past weekend to watch during our church's General Conference.  This is what Miss O my 12 year old said, "If I had to choose only one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be this!"  Need I say more?  It was gone in a matter of hours.  So good!

Simple and Meaty Skillet Lasagna : I have never made a skillet Lasagna before and was kind of skeptical, but this was very easy and very good.  My 15 year old daughter made most of it, and that always makes things taste good too :)  One pot and your done?  Sold.

Tomato Bisque Soup : I made this with butternut squash from our last year's garden.  Always cool to use produce you grew yourself.  It was very, very good, but you have to plan ahead to cook the squash, but well worth it.  Mr J (age 7) was bound and determined not to like it because of the squash, but after the first spoonful he said, "Yum!" and devoured the whole bowl.

Lion House dinner rolls : I made these to go with the soup, and they are, as always, divine.

Heath Bar Cake : Super easy and yummy!  One bowl and you're are done.  Make it today :)

Happy Eating this week!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG... makes my mouth water... mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried 2 of your dinners this week. The chicken and rice one was the biggest hit - thank you!

    ReplyDelete